Client refunds can be processed directly from your PayPal dashboard! The refund process will be slightly different if a refund is being issued more than 180 days after the original transaction.
Refunding Within 180 Days of Payment
- To issue a refund within 180 days, begin by logging in to your PayPal account.
- Click the Payments received link in the Transactions panel of the Summary page.
Note: If you do not see a Summary link at the top of the page, click Overview, which appears in the top menu when the My Account tab is selected, and then click the Payments received link.
- Click the payment you want to refund, and the Transaction Details page will open.
- Click the Issue a refund link.
Note: If you do not see an Issue a refund link, the payment may not be refundable through paypal.com due to 180 days having passed since the payment was made. For alternative refund methods, see the section below on refunding after 180 days.
- Once on this page, enter the desired refund amount; you can process a full, or a partial refund. You can also enter a note to the client, if you'd like.
- Click the Continue button, and review the details of your refund.
- Once you have verified that the refund amount is correct, click the Issue Refund button.
Note: When refunding a pending eCheck payment, no fees will be charged, as the pending payment is effectively canceled.
Refunding After 180 Days
- To issue a refund after 180 days, begin by logging in to your PayPal account.
- You will not be able to refund a direct transaction since too much time has passed, so you will simply be sending money to your client using PayPal. Click the Money link at the top of the page, and then click Send Money.
Note: If you do not see a Money link at the top of the page, click the Send Money tab.
- Click Send money to friends and family.
- Enter the required information for your refund, then click Next.
- Review the information entered for the refund, then click Send to complete the refund.