Offering discounts with coupons for your Pixieset Store can be an effective way to boost sales!
On this page:
- Types of coupons
- Creating a coupon
- Example coupon setup
- Redeeming coupons
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Types of coupons
You can create four types of coupons:
- Percent off - offer a percentage off the order total or specific items
- Amount off - offer a fixed dollar amount off the order total or specific items
- Free giveaway (Buy X get Y) - give away specific items for free in your client's cart
- Free shipping - give your client the cheapest shipping method for free
With additional coupon options, you will be able to create various discount scenarios:
- 15% off orders over $150
- Free shipping on any order
- $25 off any wall art products
- Buy 1 print get 1 print free
- Buy ten 4 x 6s and get 25% off each
Creating a coupon
- From your dashboard, go to Store > Coupons.
- Click on the Add Coupon button.
- Enter all the required options under the Discount section.
- Add additional criteria for your coupons under the Options section.
- Click Save.
Minimum Order Amount - the coupon can only be applied if the order meets the minimum order amount (i.e. if you set this minimum as $100, your client cannot apply the coupon code until they have at least $100 in their shopping cart).
Limit Total Uses - the coupon can only be redeemed a specific number of times. You can set a limit Per Collection, or Overall.
If you set the limit to be 5 Overall, this means the code can only be used 5 times in total across all of your Collections. If you set the limit to be 5 Per Collection, this means that the coupon can be applied 5 times for every one of your Collections.
Active Dates - this coupon can be scheduled to be active and to expire on a specific date. If you add an End date, the coupon can no longer be used after that date.
Add Free Shipping - if this option is selected, your client will also get Free Shipping in addition to the discount set for this coupon. This will discount the lowest-cost shipping method your client can select at checkout, based on the items they have in their shopping cart.
Applies to - If you selected All price sheets, this means that the discount can be applied to all of your collections and price sheets with no restrictions.
If you select a specific price sheet, this will restrict the usage of the coupon code to specific products on a specific price sheet.
If order contains - this option allows you to create a Buy X Get Y scenario using the Free Giveaway coupon type. For example, you can say, if the order contains one 4x6, get a free 4x6.
Coupon Banner - add a message that will be displayed on the applicable collections for the discount. Learn more: Using Coupon Banner to promote sales
Example coupons setup
The coupon system is flexible and powerful with many options available. Our recommendation is to keep your discounts simple. Here are some examples of how to set up various discount scenarios to get you started:
15% off orders over $150
- Discount type - Percentage off
- Discount amount - 15
- Minimum amount off - 150.00
Buy one get one for 4x6s
- Discount type - Free Giveaway
- Shopper gets a free... - all variants of 4 x 6 Print with quantity 1
- If order contains... - all variants of 4 x 6 Print with quantity 1
$25 off and free shipping on any canvas
- Discount type - amount off
- Discount amount - 25.00
- Applies to - select a specific price sheet > select your price sheet > and add all variants of the canvas product
- Free shipping - turned on
Coupons can be redeemed by your client when they check out from their collection. When they apply an applicable coupon code, their order total will decrease according to the discount being offered.
Once you have created your coupons, it is recommended that you test your coupons to make sure they are working as intended. The best way to test a coupon is to go to your own galleries, add the applicable items, and apply the coupon at checkout to see the outcome.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How can I let my clients know about my coupon?
- Can my clients apply more than one coupon on their orders?
- My client forgot to enter their coupon before submitting their order. Can I still offer them a discount?
- Does the coupon discount come out of my profit on the order?
How can I let my clients know about my coupon?
You can promote an active coupon for a gallery by displaying a Coupon Banner at the top of the gallery. The banner will display your custom message (i.e. Free shipping when you spend $50 or more!) and the coupon code for them to enter at checkout.
Learn more here: Using coupon banners to promote sales
Can my clients apply more than one coupon on their orders?
Your clients can apply one coupon during checkout. It is not possible to combine or stack multiple coupons. That said, they can apply both a coupon code and redeem a gift card in one transaction if offering gift cards is part of your workflow.
Learn more here: Managing gift cards and print credits
My client forgot to enter their coupon before submitting their order. Can I still offer them a discount?
If your client has forgotten to enter their Coupon code at checkout, you can easily process a partial refund for the amount of the discount. To do this, simply log into the dashboard of your Payment Gateway (Stripe or PayPal) and process a refund from there.
Learn more here: Refunding an order
Does the coupon discount come out of my profit for the order?
Yes, any discounts you offer through the use of a coupon will come out of the profit for the order.
When an order is submitted, the full Cost of Goods (printing and shipping fees) is deducted from the total amount your client paid at checkout, after their discount has been applied. Any remaining amount is sent to you directly!
Note: If you provide your client with a coupon code that brings the amount of their payment total at checkout below the actual cost of the order, then the difference in cost would be charged to your credit card on file. We will deduct as much of the cost from your client's payment as possible first, then settle any remaining amount to the credit card on file. This is why a valid credit card is required on your account in order to use coupons and gift cards.
Learn more here: When will my card be charged?