With Pixieset's Studio Manager, you can easily create invoices to meet your business' needs. This article will go over how to create your first invoice, and how to customize it with items, payment methods, due dates, and more.
On this page:
- Creating an Invoice
- Sending an Invoice
- Can I save an invoice to use for future clients?
Creating an Invoice
Creating a unique invoice for a specific client is easy. Simply go to your Studio Manager Dashboard > Documents > Invoices and click the New Invoice button. From there, choose who the new invoice is for by choosing from your existing Studio Manager contacts. You can always create a new contact on the spot, if needed.
Within the invoice builder, the Items area is the primary part of your invoice. Here, you can list items and services that you’re charging your client for. Each invoice item comes with a name, description, quantity, and price.
Tip: Have multiple invoice items and want to order them in a specific way? Simply hover over the item and click the arrow icon to move it as required.
Applying Taxes and Discounts
Depending on your local tax requirements, you may need to apply tax on items (i.e. sales tax, GST, VAT, etc.) included within your invoices. If you have questions about whether you need to collect taxes for your billed items/services, you should consult with a local tax advisor. Pixieset does not provide advice regarding tax requirements applicable to your business.
Within the invoice builder, easily set up a tax rate in two steps:
Under the invoice’s subtotal, click Add tax. In the pop-up that appears, fill in the tax name and rate. You can also add a Tax ID, if applicable.
Click Apply and the tax will be immediately applied to the invoice's subtotal (minus any applicable discount).
Tip: Have an invoice item that shouldn’t be taxed? No problem; simply hover over the specific item and click ••• > % Mark non-taxable.
Similarly to a tax rate, you can apply a discount to the items in your invoice. To set up your discount:
- Under the invoice’s subtotal, click Add discount. In the pop-up that appears, specify the type of discount you are applying (e.g. a specific dollar amount or a percentage).
- Click Apply. The discount will be applied across all of the items within the invoice equally.
Setting Due Dates and Payment Schedules
In the Due Date section of your invoice, easily determine the date(s) that your client needs to pay their invoice by clicking Payment Due. In the dropdown calendar that appears, select a specific calendar date or choose one of the timeline options (e.g. within 14 days).
If you want to collect your total payment through multiple installments, you can easily set this up by toggling the Payment Schedule option underneath to On. This is perfect for when you need to secure a deposit/retainer, or situations where your client prefers to pay off a large invoice over a set period of time.
Note: When your client receives an invoice with multiple installments, they have the flexibility of paying just the first installment, multiple installments (including the first), or even the full invoice in one go.
Activating Payment Reminders and Tips
- With Payment Reminders, you can easily set up automatic email reminders for your invoice's payment due date(s). These payment emails are automatic and cannot be modified.
- With the Add Tip option, your client will see a ”Would you like to add a tip?” section when paying. The tip amount is automatically calculated and displayed under each percentage option so your client will always know exactly how much they would be tipping.
Personalizing your Invoice’s Cover Image
To add a custom touch to your client’s invoice, you can personalize their document’s cover image in a few clicks:
- In the top right, click Edit Design and select a cover image from the options available. For a custom image, upload a JPEG or PNG file up to 50 MB.
- To adjust the area of focus on your invoice's cover image, hover over the thumbnail and click the Focal Point icon. Then, click and drag the green focal point as needed.
To access general design settings, such as color theme and font theme, go to your Studio Manager Dashboard > Settings > Branding.
Sending an Invoice
When you’re ready to send your invoice, click Send Invoice in the top right-hand corner to go to the email composer, where you can customize a message for your client. From there, you can choose to send the email containing the invoice to your client immediately or schedule it for a later date.
Tip: Do you communicate with your client outside of emails, such as via text? You can easily retrieve a direct link to their invoice instead by clicking Send via link at the bottom of the email composer.
Can I save an invoice to use for future clients?
Yes! Studio Manager allows you to create invoice templates. Templates can be applied to future documents, so they are a great way to save some time with your next client. To create a template while editing your draft invoice, click Actions > Create Template.
Alternatively, you can also set up an invoice template from scratch by going to Studio Manager Dashboard > Templates.